Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Why I pre-ordered the Fuji X-T2

Fuji X-T2
When I purchased the Fuji X-T10, I knew that the T2 was just around the corner; I took a chance. I really like the T10 (Silver Edition.) It is a very light camera (0.81 lbs) and a pleasure to shoot with, especially with the XC 16-50 and the pancake lenses. However, it has shortcomings compared to the new T2, which I could not ignore. even though I really wanted to keep the T10. On the other hand, the T2 has everything I wanted in a Fuji camera.  I do not think that a future T20 will have all these features.

The following are the list of features that I consider major or crucial to justify my upgrade to the T2:
  • Two SD card slots.  If the T2 is my travel camera, then this is a crucial. I need the second slot to back up he first one.  I have no idea when I'll be back to the place I'm visiting, if ever.  I do not want to lose the photos I took, just because a card went bad. This is the main reason I took the D750 to Washington DC instead of the T1. I seriously doubt that the T20 will have this feature. For me, this is a deal breaker and the main and perhaps the only reason I'm upgrading to the T2. Otherwise, I was very happy with the T10 or T1.
  • The 24 MP sensor is important not because of image quality; it is important because of cropping.
  • The controls are so much better. The ISO and Shutter Speed dials can be locked or unlocked depending on shooter's preference.  I no longer have to press the lock and turn the dial, at the same time.  
  • The "Joy Stick" to control the focus points is very important.  I no longer have to rely on the main dial like with the T1 and T10 freeing up four very easy accessible and programable functions buttons. In addition, the "joy stick" is so much easier to use. As I use the camera, I will learn how and what to program in each one of the function buttons.
  • The EVF is larger and brighter than the T10.  It is better or the same as with the T1. Nice!
  • The rest of the new features like 4k movie, AF spend, refresh rate, etc are not that important to me; I could take them or leave them.
I decided against the T2.

My four cameras will be:
  • Leica Q.  I will not upgrade.
  • Nikon D5500 - IR. I will not upgrade.
  • Fuji X-T10. I will upgrade.
  • Nikon D750. This is a camera that might need an upgrade in the future, but I do not see why.  Who knows what Nikon might come up with in the next 5 years or so?
Fuji X-T10

No comments: